Risk matrix chart in Power BI

Used for anything related to the new Power BI Desktop and Service tools
masterelaichi

Risk matrix chart in Power BI

Postby masterelaichi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi,

I couldn't find an answer anywhere so am hoping my luck will change hereI am trying to create a risk matrix that looks something like this

image_thumb[12].png
image_thumb[12].png (56.37 KiB) Viewed 441 times

Instead of Likelihood and Impact, I have attractiveness and achievability. I am trying to create something that will make the indvidual tiles in the matrix interactive,i.e, when I click on a specific, it should filter other charts on the dashboard

I also want to know if it is possible to do the same where the tiles have a certain score. For example, if element 1x1 on is a coordinate of Attractiveness Score and Achievability Score. Clicking on a tile should give me all the projects for that selected tile on the matrix

Is this something that is possible? I tried to hack it by creating individual tree charts with just a single element but the filtering isn't working for me. Appreciate any help

Thanks in advance

MattAllington

Re: Risk matrix chart in Power BI

Postby MattAllington » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:48 am

How about using the chicklet slicer. https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/Ch ... 8559807354

You can configure this as a 3x3 panel

As for "how" it will filter, it depends in your data model. Can you explain what you have
Matt Allington is Professional Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the book "Learn to Write DAX". You can hire me at http://Exceleratorbi.com.au
http://exceleratorbi.com.au/what-is-power-pivot/
http://xbi.com.au/learndax

masterelaichi

Postby masterelaichi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for your reply Matt. I did think about using a Chiclet slicer and also a tree chart (9 tree charts actually). When I use a chiclet slicer I don't get the tiles (slicers) in the order that I need

My data consists of only one table with numerous columns (a lot!). Two columns, Achievability Status and Attractiveness Status, have Low, Medium, and High as values (hence a 3x3 matrix as shown in my image). These statuses are set according to a certain score (eg- a score <=3 is rated Low)

So technically, is what I am trying to achieve the "mixing" two slicers here? If so,can that be done? I have tweaked my model a bit by adding an extra column that concatenates Achievability Status and Attractiveness Status (call it Ach- Attr table) whose values are combinations of Low-Low, Low-Medium, Low-High, and so on

To sort the Ach-Attr table I have created a new helper table that assigns ranks to each status combination- Low-low=1 up to High-High=9 and then created a relationship between the main data and this new helper table

So, I have progressed a bit with what I am trying to achieve but quite not right there yet. I also posted on the PowerBI community and I understand that there has been a new feature request for a Risk Matrix chart

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Steve_D

Postby Steve_D » Mon May 01, 2017 9:19 am

G'day,
I have similar problem in that I want to assign data to quadrants and then filter the data by quadrant or data point. Let me predicate this with, "I haven't done this yet" but,what I was going to do was overlay a Chiclet slicer over a scatter plot (send the scatter plot to the background). By doing this, The filtered data is shown in a matrix (the new preview version), which then allows me to choose a data point which the characteristics are then reflected in other visuals.

The only issue I have is, the quadrant co-ordinates are subject to change ie. X axis may for 1 view be from 0 to 10 and then in a another view 0 to 5; meaning the quadrant will no longer reflect the proper grouping as the XY co-ordinates of the scatter plot have re-scaled.

The only solution I can think of is at this stage is to re-scale all co-ordinates so they are fit between a fixed band of 0 to 2 for both the x and y axis. I'm not really sure how to do this yet, I'm thinking taking the average of the x and y coordinates and define that as 0,0 and then using the standard deviation from the means as the co-ordinates for the axis's.

Anyway, its there for consideration... I'm curious to know how this progresses for you.

masterelaichi

Postby masterelaichi » Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Steve,

I haven't attempted this using a scatter chart. I was thinking if it is possible todo this using a tree chart but then again, the sizes of the blocks vary depending on the data. I'll play around with a scatter chart and see how it goes

Steve_D

Postby Steve_D » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 am

very clever, I hadn't even thought of that but again as long as you create a formula that constrains the range to a static four quadrants then this would work to.

Surely we have a Mathematician in the ranks who can share a formula that will constrain a range of data to a values that range between -1 to 1... mmm, % of variance.

In the May release of PBI, there is the ability now to bin data to a defined number of bins. That may be an alternative.

masterelaichi

Postby masterelaichi » Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 am

Just an update (or lack of it). I haven't had a chance to play around with this due to other things that are taking up my time

Hopefully, someone can find a quick and easy solution for this :D

Regards

Return to “Power BI Desktop/Service”