Is this even possible in Power BI

Used for anything related to the new Power BI Desktop and Service tools
Steve_D

Is this even possible in Power BI

Postby Steve_D » Mon May 01, 2017 9:33 am

G'day,
Is there a way of entering data at the canvass level either in Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service. What I'm trying to do is create a table with a list of customer groups and then have a user provide a scalar value which is input in the table and then used as adjustment factors for other DAX measures in the model.

I imagined the input table would look something like this on the canvass with the "input scalar value" being editable.
Customer Group,Input Scalar Value
Cust 1 ,1
Cust 2 ,1
Cust 3 ,0.5
Cust 4 ,1.5

rbutner

Re: Is this even possible in Power BI

Postby rbutner » Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Steve:

I'm not sure I understand "canvass level"; but, have you tried the "Enter Data" option in the "External data" section of Power BI Desktop? This option allows users to create tables with multiple rows and columns. I would create a two column table, the first column named "Customer Group" and the second named "Scalar Value". You could create as many Customer Groups as necessary, either up front or on the fly. You would then instruct the users to enter and/or change the Scalar Values as appropriate.

You can then use your new table like any other data source.

I hope this helps.

Steve_D

Postby Steve_D » Sun May 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Thankyou for the suggestion. The issue I found with the, "Enter Data" Table was once the data had been entered the Table became fixed with those values. I was after something I could change the values in the table while in Power BI. From what I've seen, this is not possible in Power BI.

To get around this, I have created a table in Excel which I adjust the values in and do a refresh in Power BI to update the values in loaded table. Not elegant but, does the job.

rbutner

Postby rbutner » Mon May 29, 2017 1:33 am

Steve:

You should be able to change the data in your "Enter Data" table after creating it.

1. Start by selecting "Edit Queries" in the "Enter data" data section;
2. The Query Editor window will open;
3. Select the appropriate query from the "Queries" list on the left;
4. The first line in the "APPLIED STEPS" list on the right should read "Source";
5. Select the gear icon to open the source data; and
6. Your table should open and be ready to edit.

This may or may not be easier or more elegant than your Excel option. At least you do not need to open Excel. By the way, you can also copy and paste data from Excel into your "Enter Data" table.

Good luck!

Steve_D

Postby Steve_D » Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 am

Thankyou , I was unaware that you could do that.

Return to “Power BI Desktop/Service”