arcGIS on Engineering General Arrangement Drawings

Used for anything related to the new Power BI Desktop and Service tools
John8Thomas

arcGIS on Engineering General Arrangement Drawings

Postby John8Thomas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 am

I am interested in using Power BI to map areas of our project. We do lots of reporting by Unit and Areas within each unit. I can get a drawing from the engineering department in various formats, one of which could have lat/lon locations and elevation. This would allow us to report on a map, the concentration of work hours spent last week in each area, or the number of employees in an area based on what cost codes they charged their hours. I was reading about arcGIS and the ability to use latitude / longitude so it seems something like this would be possible. Perhaps a good idea for a custom visualization if we can pull the information from the CAD drawing files.

Of course, we would want the drawing of the plant to show, like a Country (whole plant), with States (Units) and Counties (Areas). If we could match the location of key equipment with a Lat/Lon tag, perhaps key words in the schedule activity (Unit 1 - Set Main Compressor) could automatically tie to a location of the map because the "Main Compressor" Lat / Lon is a fixed point in the map. Hmmm...

How would I go about making something like this happen?

Thanks in advance...

MattAllington

Re: arcGIS on Engineering General Arrangement Drawings

Postby MattAllington » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:55 am

This report may inspire you https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/industries/airline/

I doubt this uses arcgis, but I'm. It actually sure what it uses. I suggest you ask on the community Power bi forum as the MS engineers often visit.

I think you would need to manage the geography separately to the product visuals. There is a new feature imminent that allows a master page to drill into a sub page. Such a set up would allow a map on the master page and the cad drawings on a sub page. I expect this in the next 1-2 months.
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the book "Supercharge Power BI".
https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-online-training/

Return to “Power BI Desktop/Service”