Can I use ‘Enter Data’ to load old data once (incremental refresh)?  [Solved]

IanR

Can I use ‘Enter Data’ to load old data once (incremental refresh)?

Postby IanR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 am

I’m working in CRM and I have some large tables of ‘activities’ that I don’t want to have to reload into Power BI every time the data model refreshes. As far as I am aware Power BI doesn’t have a feature for incremental refreshes so I wonder if I can fake one using the ‘Enter Data’ feature. I’m thinking that I can (1) get the old data into Excel, (2) copy and paste it into an ‘Activities_History’ table in Power BI using Enter Data, (3) put a date filter on the import of the new data and load it into something like ‘Activities_Recent’ during a refresh, then (4) merge the two tables together in Power Query.

Does that sound reasonable? I’m slightly worried that when I publish this to Power BI Service and try to set up an automatic refresh I will hit problems because not all of the data comes from online sources (we use the online version of Dynamics CRM).

On the other hand, does anybody know of other strategies for faking an incremental refresh that work in Power BI Service?

MattAllington

Re: Can I use ‘Enter Data’ to load old data once (incremental refresh)?  [Solved]

Postby MattAllington » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 am

This feature is currently in planning https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200 ... data-loads

There is an option to turn off the query refresh for individual queries (include in report refresh). You could load a history file into Power BI and then turn off this option. Then append the history file with the new data as you have described. But I wouldn't use "Enter Data". Instead put the history data in a spreadsheet and load it from there.
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the book "Supercharge Power BI".
https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-online-training/

IanR

Re: Can I use ‘Enter Data’ to load old data once (incremental refresh)?

Postby IanR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks Matt. I have voted for that change. I've read somewhere that even when they're in planning changes still need votes or they tend to drift down the list of priorities.
In the meantime I think that the option to turn off refreshes for a particular table could be made to work for my current project.
Is there a way of flagging a reply as the solution?

MattAllington

Re: Can I use ‘Enter Data’ to load old data once (incremental refresh)?

Postby MattAllington » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Agreed - votes are important. It seems you have found the SOLVED feature :-)
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the book "Supercharge Power BI".
https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-online-training/

Return to “Power Query”