Table Properties displays SQL statement only . . .

A dedicated forum to help people when working through the book "Learn to Write DAX"
mlmittelman

Table Properties displays SQL statement only . . .

Postby mlmittelman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 am

Hello All:
Apologies for super-newbie question (and more to come):
As I begin the book and am directed to the Table Properties dialog for the Calendar table, I only see the SQL statement; I do not see the table itself. (please see screenshot).
I am using MS OFFICE 365.
How do I get the Table Properties to show the table, as in the illustration (location 455).

Thanks in advance,
Mike
New York, USA
Attachments
Table Properties screenshot.xlsx
Table Properties screenshot
(22.2 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

MattAllington

Re: Table Properties displays SQL statement only . . .

Postby MattAllington » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:37 pm

This is a bug introduced after I wrote book. Which version of the book are you reading? Learn to write DAX, or supercharge power BI? In my newer version of the book I recommend using power query to load the data.
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

mlmittelman

Postby mlmittelman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 am

Hi Matt:
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me, personally! I appreciate it. I am reading LEARN TO WRITE DAX . . . I know I'm late to the Power Pivot party; in fact I always favored formula-based solutions in EXCEL over pivot tables. I suppose I was a bit of a formula snob; I thought pivot tables were a kind of 'cheating'.
However, I'm over that now, and truly excited to gain enough expertise to wade into the Power Pivot/Power BI environment and apply it to our reporting needs.

I've read 'Power Pivot Power BI' by Rob Collie and Avichal Singh, and am about 70% of the way through 'Power Pivot Alchemy' by Rob Collie and Bill Jelen. Also, 'M is for (Data) Monkey' as well. I've been reading, as you describe, in a 'passive learning' way but also in a 'discovering what's possible' kind of way.

A long-winded answer to a simple question . . . my question to you is, should I continue with LEARN TO WRITE DAX (I definitely want the 'active learning' experience) or do you recommend your other book? One consideration is that I will have Power Pivot available to me on our main platform but no access to Power BI. (I will have Power BI elsewhere).

Thanks, again.
Mike

RamanaV

Postby RamanaV » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:45 am

Supercharge Excel is the second edition of Matt Allington's book Learn to Write DAX. Learn to Write DAX was written using Excel 2013 interface. Supercharge Excel uses Excel 2016 and is an improved version. Supercharge Power BI uses Power BI Desktop as the interface. The learning experience is same in both the books. And the DAX skills learnt are transferable between Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop. Power BI Desktop is available as free download. Hope this information suffices for you to start on DAX journey.
Ramana Varanasi
Training and Office Manager
Excelerator BI Pty. Ltd.

mlmittelman

Postby mlmittelman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 am

Ah, OK . . . That is helpful.
Thanks, Ramana!

Return to “Help with the Book "Learn to Write DAX"”