New User Questions

Any topic that doesn't fit in elsewhere
kdsan

New User Questions

Postby kdsan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:35 am

I'm knew to both PowerPivot and PowerQuery.

I've used connections SQL to query (before import) specific tables and only pull the fields I need, keeping in mind I want to use this model for future analysis, not just my immediate need. I did this all in PowerPivot. Attached is a picture. These tables contain a LOT of information. For right NOW, I only want to take a look at a distinct buyers of a specific product, within a specific time frame. Later I would like to collect their contact information so we can market to them. I don't see how, in PowerPivot, I would limit the data to just look at the one product or limit the time frame. So I figure I must do so in PowerQuery.... except I can't access the data model i just created. I searched online that you can move data from powerQuery to PowerPivot but haven't found anything that says how to move it the other way.

Should I have started in PowerQuery instead? Can I create relationships there? If so, then why not just work out of PowerQuery only? I guess I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around how I should set this up and what I do where.

I set it up this way so that if tomorrow I need to run profiles on buyers of product B, I would have to create an entirely new model. Any pointers are appreciated.
Attachments
PowerPivotScreenShot.PNG
PowerPivotScreenShot.PNG (49.8 KiB) Viewed 3881 times

MattAllington

Re: New User Questions

Postby MattAllington » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

kdsan

Postby kdsan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:47 am

MattAllington

Postby MattAllington » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:20 am

Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

kdsan

Postby kdsan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 am

Just got it - thanks!

Return to “General”