New rows in table not formatted as Date

PhilC

New rows in table not formatted as Date

Postby PhilC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi,

I have a query with a column formatted as Date, when the data is refreshed and loaded to Table in an Excel sheet, new rows are not formatted as a date, they have the number appearance eg 43209.

We are using this data as a source for Tableau, so need to be properly formatted as Tableau is not picking up the number as a date.

Current workaround is to highlight table column each time after a refresh and format manually. Have a number of tables / date fields to do this for so would like it to be automatic.

I have had other files where this does not occur, so am guessing it is local to this file or specifically the individual table, makes me think it is somehow formatting related. Cannot remember if I have formatted the output column at some point.

Cheers
Phil

MattAllington

Re: New rows in table not formatted as Date

Postby MattAllington » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:29 am

I have seen this too - very frustrating. I haven't been able to solve it with the few files I have, but now I hear that you have a problem with some files and not other, I wonder if you remove the table (set data load to connection only) and then add it back in a clean sheet, how that would work out. Let me know if that works
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

PhilC

Re: New rows in table not formatted as Date

Postby PhilC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks Matt, will do some testing when more data comes through during the week. At least it is not isolated to me.

Return to “Power Query”