Advice on the way to go

Anything related to PowerPivot and DAX Formuale
silents57

Advice on the way to go

Postby silents57 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 am

Hi everyone,

I have a project I would like to do and I was thinking of using power pivot to do it, I would like to do it on power query or power pivot so I can do it multiple times a year without spending days on it; doing it manually takes a week almost. let me explain;

I have a very large file (about 200 mb) of around 100 columns and thousands of lines.

On the other hand I have a kind of template with around 10 columns to put the date of the first file.

My goal is to import all the data of the first file and put it in th appropriate columns (the header names are totally different).

My first thought was to use power pivot with a key of each column linking to every column of the second file, but it does not seem to be smart and efficient.

Do you have any idea how I could do this efficiently ?

I would like to do it on power query or power pivot so I can do it multiple times a year without spending days on it; doing it manually takes a week almost.

Big thanks in advance

MattAllington

Re: Advice on the way to go

Postby MattAllington » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:31 am

It’s not really clear what you are trying to do. What I can tell you is power Query is a very useful tool to connect to files, select certain columns and not others, rename those columns if you want, and then load the data into a standard table. Once the query is written, it is completely reusable. One suggestion is to do some formal learning. I co authored the power query academy. The first module is free and should give you some idea of what is possible.

https://www.skillwave.training/courses/ ... damentals/

https://www.skillwave.training/shop/pow ... y-academy/
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

Return to “PowerPivot/DAX”