Timeline can't be inserted when linked to the Calendar date field  [Solved]

Any topic that doesn't fit in elsewhere
Pacifiq

Timeline can't be inserted when linked to the Calendar date field

Postby Pacifiq » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:45 am

Hi Power Pivot Forum team,

I'm building a model in power pivot, and have so far 2 tables retrieved from API calls. I added a calendar, linked it to my tables, and it was working fine. I was able to add a timeline linked to my Calendar date field (not fact tables date fields).

Then I updated the range of dates of my Calendar table, to go further in the past, and further in the future. Since then, when I try to add a timeline linked to the Calendar date field, nothing happens. It's weird, because Power Pivot is seeing the relationship with the calendar table, when I add the Calendar date fields in the power charts. It's really the timeline that's not appearing anymore. If I try to add original date fields from fact tables, then the timeline adds correctly but that's not what I want.

I don't know if it's a bug in Power Pivot or I broke something? I deleted the original timelines that were added before the calendar update, just to show you the problem.

The Excel model is attached

Hope you can help me fix it,

Thanks,
Mikael
Attachments
UnemploymentRatevPowerPivotForum.zip
(815.72 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Pacifiq

Re: Timeline can't be inserted when linked to the Calendar date field  [Solved]

Postby Pacifiq » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:17 am

Okay so I found the solution to my problem after 3 days of research. Basically by adding the timeline outside of a pivot chart, linking it to my calendar table, instead of not showing anything, it showed the error message pretty much saying that my dates were not supported in Excel. So then I figured my date format was correct as it's the native calendar table, so it was probably a problem linked to the range. After a few tests, it seems anything before 1900 is not supported in the timeline, same goes for after 2099. Adjusting the range fixed it!

Return to “General”