Manage Measures dialog box is empty on open / PowerPivot file crashes Excel on open

A dedicated forum to help people when working through the book "Learn to Write DAX"
mlmittelman

Manage Measures dialog box is empty on open / PowerPivot file crashes Excel on open

Postby mlmittelman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello All:
Actually, I have two curious PowerPivot-related behaviors that you may have insight into . . . but, first, here is my scenario:
I have Excel 365 (as part of an Office 365 Personal subscription) on my home PC and Excel 365 ProPlus on my work laptop, both in a 64 bit WIN 10 environment.

I have been working my way through the book using the AdventureWorks db. It's going well; the book is great! Very clear and easy to navigate and awesome in its content!

I have uploaded the Excel PowerPivot file to OneDrive (called AW_01.xlsx) and have identical file paths in both locations. That way I can upload/download from OneDrive and work on the book/file at home and on my way to and from work.

Curious Behavior #1:
On my work laptop, when I open the 'Manage Measures' dialog box, the dialog box is empty and shaded entirely gray, even though I now have some 20+ measures therein. The only way I have found to refresh the 'Manage Measures' dialog box is to close and re-open Excel (and that doesn't always work). Once it starts working again, it then behaves normally for the remainder of the session.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to refresh the 'Manage Measures' dialog box without having the close Excel and re-open?

Curious Behavior #2:
The same file, AW_01.xlsx, opens normally on my work laptop but, on my home PC, about 50% of the time, when I open the file, Excel instantly vanishes. It's an instantaneous crash. Usually, the second time I try to open it, it opens and behaves normally. I have also noticed that if I already have other files open when I open AW_01.xlsx, it will open normally. It seems only to happen when I have a fresh session of Excel and then open the file. I have also tried opening it from within the application, opening it from Windows Explorer (by double clicking) and opening it from the 'Pinned' file location in Excel. All 3 methods have the same result: AW_01.xlsx will crash Excel on open when it is the first file opened in that session.
Any ideas? I did do a full Office Repair/re-install to no effect.

Thanks so much in advance,
Mike

mlmittelman

Re: Manage Measures dialog box is empty on open / PowerPivot file crashes Excel on open

Postby mlmittelman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:41 am

Hello All:
Regarding, Curious Behavior #2:
"The same file, AW_01.xlsx, opens normally on my work laptop but, on my home PC, about 50% of the time, when I open the file, Excel instantly vanishes. It's an instantaneous crash."

After some research I finally found an answer for Curious Behavior #2 on, you guessed it, Matt Allington's blog:
https://exceleratorbi.com.au/a-further- ... wer-pivot/

From (currently) last comment:
Power Query crashing Excel:
Data -> Get Data -> Query Options -> Data Load (Current Workbook) – clear all ticks.
In addition, I’d switch off “refresh in background” for each query loaded to the worksheet.

I used PowerQuery to import my data so, once I did above, all good: NO MORE CRASHING ON OPEN

Thanks, Matt!

mlmittelman

Re: Manage Measures dialog box is empty on open / PowerPivot file crashes Excel on open

Postby mlmittelman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:59 am

Hello All:
Apologies . . . I knew I should have tested *before* I posted above . . . although it appeared to be the solution last evening, when I opened the file in a fresh Excel session this morning, Excel crashed.
The only 'fix' I seem to have found is that, if I have another file open when I open my PowerPivot file for the first time, it opens and behaves normally.
So, I suppose it is a quirk that is fairly easy to live with.

Haven't seen anything regarding Curious Behavior #1 anywhere . . . (blank 'Manager Measures' dialog box)

Thanks.

Mike

mlmittelman

Postby mlmittelman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:30 am

Just wanted to share my issue resolution from MS Support: (as of 12-08-2019)
one of the advantages of the new MS Subscription model is that you retain access to MS Support:

Turns out I do have the latest version of Office 365, Version 1911, which is fairly recent.
The MS tech downgraded me to prior build, Version 1909 and problem was resolved.
I was advised to reinstall current version in ‘about 2-3 weeks’ when bugs in v. 1911 should be resolved.
‘There are always issues with a new build’ is what I was further advised.

I was encouraged that MS Support was aware of the issue and had a fix. Hopefully, future builds will not have the same effect.

Mike

mlmittelman

Postby mlmittelman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:17 am

The previously mentioned 'fix' failed after a day or two and the downgraded version of Excel began to exhibit the same behavior . . . the then, today:

Just wanted to add one more update . . . I did the test I should have done from the very beginning:
I opened the file on another computer with Office 365 installed.

The file was opened as the first file in a new Excel session --- and it opened and subsequently behaved perfectly normally.

So, the problem was specific to my other PC. Just for the record, that PC has a 7 year old ASUS P6X58D motherboard with the first generation 3.2 Ghz Intel i7 960 (4 core) processor and 16GB of RAM. Also and AMD Radeon 6900 HD series video card. It was quite capable in its day.

I have absolutely no idea what is causing the problem on this system but it's probably more trouble to find out than to update the system to some modern components.

Thanks. Mike

Return to “Help with the Book "Learn to Write DAX"”