Auto populate credentials

fb7894

Auto populate credentials

Postby fb7894 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:57 am

I have a query/macro that several users will ultimately use. The PQ reads workbooks on an O365 Sharepoint site.

Is there any way to auto populate the sharepoint credentials so that users don't need to put in credentials?

If not, is there a glamour way to do this other than running the query, having it fail, and then putting in credentials?

thanks!!

MattAllington

Re: Auto populate credentials

Postby MattAllington » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:17 am

Every user has to enter their own credentials. If you are using Power BI, you could save the file as a template and that may be more elegant. Otherwise you can set credentials in the power query menu.
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

fb7894

Postby fb7894 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 am

Thank you Matt. This is using Excel.

The only way i know how to enter credentials is to manually go to Data > Get Data > Data Source settings > etc.....

Most of my users are not that sophisticated in Excel. So sending them instructions is tough.
Is there a way (using a VBA form maybe?)that they could enter their credentials?

MattAllington

Postby MattAllington » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:44 pm

I guess so, but I have never done it. There is definitely and object model for this stuff. Try turning on the macro recorder and then set the credentials, and see what you get
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

Return to “Power Query”