arcGIS on Engineering General Arrangement Drawings

Used for anything related to the new Power BI Desktop and Service tools
John8Thomas

arcGIS on Engineering General Arrangement Drawings

Postby John8Thomas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 am

I am interested in using Power BI to map areas of our project. We do lots of reporting by Unit and Areas within each unit. I can get a drawing from the engineering department in various formats, one of which could have lat/lon locations and elevation. This would allow us to report on a map, the concentration of work hours spent last week in each area, or the number of employees in an area based on what cost codes they charged their hours. I was reading about arcGIS and the ability to use latitude / longitude so it seems something like this would be possible. Perhaps a good idea for a custom visualization if we can pull the information from the CAD drawing files.

Of course, we would want the drawing of the plant to show, like a Country (whole plant), with States (Units) and Counties (Areas). If we could match the location of key equipment with a Lat/Lon tag, perhaps key words in the schedule activity (Unit 1 - Set Main Compressor) could automatically tie to a location of the map because the "Main Compressor" Lat / Lon is a fixed point in the map. Hmmm...

How would I go about making something like this happen?

Thanks in advance...

MattAllington

Re: arcGIS on Engineering General Arrangement Drawings

Postby MattAllington » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:55 am

This report may inspire you https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/industries/airline/

I doubt this uses arcgis, but I'm. It actually sure what it uses. I suggest you ask on the community Power bi forum as the MS engineers often visit.

I think you would need to manage the geography separately to the product visuals. There is a new feature imminent that allows a master page to drill into a sub page. Such a set up would allow a map on the master page and the cad drawings on a sub page. I expect this in the next 1-2 months.

Visit the following link to learn about my Power BI Training.
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

Return to “Power BI Desktop/Service”