How do I handle Tags in a customer list?

Anything related to PowerPivot and DAX Formuale
MattAllington

How do I handle Tags in a customer list?

Postby MattAllington » Sat May 10, 2014 8:39 am

I have an interesting problem that I would like some opinions on. Here is the situation.

I have a customer database of retail outlets. Each retail outlet is classified by its "type" of venue. Ie Petrol, Takeaway Food, Supermarket etc. But I would like to add a new "Tag" concept to the master data to further understand the sub groups. If we use takeaway food as and example, I would like to tag what types of food the outlet sells. eg Fish & Chips, Pizza, Burgers etc. I don't really want a column for each food type (eg Pizza Y/N?) as that would make for a lot of wasted space. Instead I am thinking a simple 2 column table with "customer ID" and "Food Type". So if an outlet sold Pizza, Burgers, Pasta, there would be 3 entries in the table. I then want to load this table into my PowerPivot data model so I can filter on customers that sell that food type.

Any ideas from anyone on ways to do this?
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

gdriii

Re: How do I handle Tags in a customer list?

Postby gdriii » Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

A simple two column table with Type and Sub Category sounds like the way to go if it isn't too much to build.

I did a similar thing with our chart of accounts. We had a ton of old dirt from a previous bookkeeper that we wanted to merge the data into accounts where it should have been posted. Instead of a monumental accounting nightmare cleaning up I made a two column table. One column with the Descriptions as they are in the system, and then a duplicate column that I then copied and edited to match where I wanted the data to end up. So if I really wanted Account Y to show in the pivot in Account Z, I pasted Account Y over the Account Z in the second column. Used the second "Joined" column in my Pivot and now my data is where I want it on the pivot.

MattAllington

Re: How do I handle Tags in a customer list?

Postby MattAllington » Wed May 14, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks for sharing your experience. That is a good tip. In my case, I will have multiple entries in the one table for the same customer number. I guess I just have to get in there and try it out and see what happens. I will post progress once I have given it a go.
Matt Allington is Self Service BI Consultant, Trainer and Author of the Book "Supercharge Power BI".
Power BI Training

Rettos

Re: local bookkeeping services

Postby Rettos » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:52 pm

[quote="gdriii"]A simple two column table with Type and Sub Category sounds like the way to go if it isn't too much to build.

I did a similar thing with our chart of accounts. We had a ton of old dirt from a previous bookkeeper that we wanted to merge the data into accounts where it should have been posted. Instead of a monumental accounting nightmare cleaning up I made a two column table. One column with the Descriptions as they are in the system, and then a duplicate column that I then copied and edited to match where I wanted the data to end up. So if I really wanted Account Y to show in the pivot in Account Z, I pasted Account Y over the Account Z in the second column. Used the second "Joined" column in my Pivot and now my data is where I want it on the pivot.[/quote]

very effective approach to accounting!

Return to “PowerPivot/DAX”